Monday, January 19, 2009

creamy chicken enchiladas



Finally, a recipe of my own! I have been making these enchiladas for as long as I can remember. I grew up eating them and now that I have a family of my own I love how simple they are to make. Plus, they make great leftovers. The only bad thing I can say about them is that I always end up eating way more than I should!

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
garlic salt
pepper
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can chicken broth
1 can diced green chilis
12 small flour tortillas
16 ounces colby jack cheese

Season chicken breasts with garlic salt and pepper. Bake in a casserole dish at 350 degrees until juices run clear, approximately 30 minutes depending on the size of your chicken breasts. Cut cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces. In a medium bowl combine cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and green chilis until smooth. If you prefer your enchiladas less saucy, use less chicken broth. Spread a little bit of sauce on the bottom of a 9 X 13 inch casserole dish. Layer flour tortillas, sauce, chicken, and cheese. Repeat twice. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Switch oven to broiler to brown and crisp up the top layer of cheese. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream. I often serve this with a tossed green salad with ranch dressing and/or sweet corn.

Tips: My local grocery store sells shredded rotisserie chicken in the deli and it works great when I'm pressed for time. If you want to save a step, mix the chicken in to the sauce before you layer the casserole. When I layer the tortillas, I put one down at each end, slightly overlapping in the center. The circular nature of tortillas leaves sections around the edges uncovered, so I cut one tortilla in half and line the straight edge along the long side of the dish to cover it up. I then cut one tortilla in half and each of those halves in half. I then take each of these "right angles" and place them in the corners of this dish. This makes sure that the entire casserole dish is covered with tortilla, I repeat this process with each layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment